Biological Sciences Collegiate Division Summer Fellowship Program
A limited number of Biological Sciences Collegiate Division 2017 Summer Fellowships are available for registered first and second year Biological Sciences Undergraduate Students interested in conducting research during the summer in a University of Chicago campus laboratory. Biological field research is welcomed and priority will be given to: (1) students registered in the 3rd Quarter of the AB Biology Sequence (2) students registered in the Premed Biology Sequence (20170s) (3) students that have registered for BIOS 20150 in the Spring Quarter the application is being submitted.
Students awarded a Fellowship must commit to meet the criteria indicated below. If a student cannot fully participate in the BSCD Fellowship program by meeting ALL of the criteria listed on the application, the student is not eligible to apply for the Fellowship. If a student is granted a fellowship and does not meet ALL of the requirements the student will be immediately dropped from the program and forfeit the entire stipend.
The Fellowship will cover registration for the 2017 summer quarter and a $4,000 stipend ($1000 at Orientation, $500 following Week 5 Update, $2500 at Fall Symposium). The 10-week program will began on Monday, June 19, 2017 and will conclude on Friday, August 25, 2017. Students may not register for any courses during this 10-week summer Fellowship.
Please submit ONLY printed hard copies of the completed application, which should include ALL of the forms indicated below, to the locked Drop Box directly outside of Biology Office (BSLC 301) by 3:00 pm Wednesday, April 5, 2017.
1. Letter from your Principal Investigator/ Faculty Sponsor addressed to “The BSCD Fellowship Committee”- stating the PI will:
- welcome the Student into their lab as a Fellow (or Undergraduate Researcher) to work on a 10-week Research Project,
- commit to discussing the project and suggest/advise reading material,
- meet weekly to direct and advise the Fellow during the 10-week internship,
commit to seeing that the Fellow fully participates and meets ALL of the criteria stipulated in the application, including participating in the
- 10-weeks of research,
- attending the Fellowship Seminar Series
- participating in and attending all of the 5-week Updates,
- and participating in and attending the all day Fall Symposium.
- advise and guide with the Research Proposal and preparation of the presentations (5-week updates and Fall Symposium).
- If a student is not selected as a recipient of a BSCD Summer Fellowship, the Principal Investigator should indicate whether he/she would support/fund the student in your lab during the summer.
2. Principal Investigator Seminar Series Schedule Form - completed
3. Principal Investigator and Student complete contact info: complete names, email addresses, department, office address, phone #’s, etc.
4. A Research Proposal (one page maximum) written by student applicant.
5. Student's Curriculum Vitae
6. Applicant summary: A brief explanation (no more than 500 words):
- Why the applicant applied for the Fellowship,
- How participation in the BSCD Fellowship Program will enhance the student’s undergraduate experience.
- Why the applicant wants to do research
- How will participation in the Fellowship program enrich, strengthen or advance their scientific career
7. An Official Transcript: transcript should include recent winter quarter grades. Students may submit a non-official transcript showing the winter quarter grades and follow by submitting an official transcript asap.
8. A C-More list of the courses for which the student has registered in the Spring Quarter and a list of the courses for which the student will register in the following Fall Quarter.
9. A signed Fellowship Commitment Form - Lists all criteria Fellows must meet.
Forms: (Click to download)
Those Principal Investigators whose summer Fellows do not fully comply with/meet ALL of the specified requirements in the Fellowship program will not be considered for future Fellowships.
Only complete Applications (including all of the above materials) submitted by 3:00 pm on April 5, 2017 will be accepted by the Biological Sciences Collegiate Division and reviewed by the committee.
Fellowship Awards will be announced Wednesday, April 19, 2017